Skip to main content

Smooth Moves in Phonetics

So I'm in my favorite class (Phonetics) on this dreary of a mundane Wednesday morning running on five hours of not-so solid sleep and my brain is dead from studying the works of Mill, Marx, Schopenhauer, Shelley, and Freud (Curse philosophers. By the way, one of those is not like others, I'll leave you to figure out which one.)
I spilled coffee on my hand at Starbucks, my contacts are sticking to my eyelids, and some one took my favorite front row, middle seat. I have a long day ahead of me, which includes God forsaken track practice and my ever favorite philosophy class (curse philosophers again.)
It is definitely not a happy hump day and, all things considered, I'm not on my A game. I'm not even on my B game. And if there were a C game, I bet I'd be absent from that one too. In fact, I got lost on the way to the ball park.

So we're learning Phonetic transcription, duh. And we were practicing our voiceless lingua alveolar fricatives...also known as the S sound.
So Prof. does what she does for every transcription, she asks us to shout out words that have the S sound in the initial and final position.
Words like "soup" and "super" and "cross" were shouted out. Normal words. Kindergarden level. Moving on.
I'm a little zoned out at this point...it's 9 am cut me some slack. So I tune back in like the superstar I am and decide to join in the little game.
She then asked for words with the S sound in the medial position.
Now being downgraded to the second row, middle seat, I decide to make myself known.

Want to know what word came to mind first and I blurted out?

Pussy.
No, not just pussy. I then tried to HIDE the fact that I just blurted out a crude word for vagina in the middle of my graduate level class by then saying "cat."
So it came out like, "Pussy!...cat. Pussy.Cat."

Thaaaaaat's good, Katie. Keep it up, I'm sure you'll get an A now.

Prof. thought it was absolutely hilarious and laughed the rest of class.
I think I'm still bright red.

Love love love,
Katie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend

As promised, here's a blog about my weekend - I know you've been sitting on the edge of your rolly computer chair waiting for it with bated breath. Friday after my guitar class, which went not-so-fabulously, as per usual, Chris and I had a little adventure to Harpoon Brewery where we met up with my ever beloved (and apparently much talked about) bff Dave. It took us a little adventuring and a little guessing to get there but we made it there and home with lots of "I have a hunch this is the way to go"-ing. It convinced me fully that we'd be great on a European back-packing trip together. We don't fight, we don't argue, we don't get frustrated, we just laugh and follow our gut. Which led us to beer! Isn't that what Germany is all about?  Anyway, Harpoon was awesome. You just go, hear about beer, and drink all you want. I picked up a growler of the cider - highly recommended. We literally guessed what bus to get on to get home and turns out it led...

Stop Shoulding all over yourself

Yesterday I went on Cor Jesu's Vivare "young alumni" retreat. My friend from high school Katie posted it on my wall a few weeks ago and tagged a couple other CJ sisters to the post and it struck my interest. I haven't done a single thing with CJ since I graduated and somewhere between moving to Boston and joining the triathlon team my Catholic past was put on the backburner. I figured I had nothing to lose except a Saturday and at the very least I'd get to hang out with my friends so I signed up and sent in my $25 without much thought.  I've never been the most devout Catholic. Most times in church I'm scanning the crowd for familiar faces, zoning out, and making Target lists- and that's if I go at all. Sunday is usually run-day...or ski day. Or sleep in day. Or study day. Or vacuum day. Whatever day it is...it's rarely church day. Despite being raised by two Catholic parents, going to a Catholic grade school and a Catholic high school, going o...

Running Playlist

Christmas break consisted of nothing but running, riding to the grocery store on my beach cruiser, reading trashy magazines on the beach, drinking more margaritas than I care to admit, and eating an entire Gulf of Mexico worth of seafood. It was 3 weeks of sunshine bliss in southern Florida but now it's back to Utah - with a huge slap in the face from the frigid -15 degree wind. I spent the first 3 days shivering uncontrollably and coughing from something Utahns call "inversion".  The first thing I did was hit the slopes skiing with a Snowbasin ski pass and new ski boots. Turns out this Missouri girl sucks at powder skiing....who knew!? My ski trip to Co when I was 10 didn't give me quite the base I need for serious skiing, so I fly down the half the slope with reckless abandon until I make an ass of myself by tumbling the other half. Whatever...with my new ski coat and boots I look damn good doing it. And with my endurance sport background I can fall down the s...