Skip to main content

Making Your Mark: Stud Or Dud?


Teachers respect you, freshmen are terrified of you, colleges are looking at you, and juniors can’t wait to be you. You rule the school. You march down the halls with a knowing face and a “whatever” attitude. You know all the halls of the school, the teachers by nickname, and the best way to navigate the parking lot. You can demand those cookies and eat them, too- with your 2008 class ring blinging on your finger. What are you? You are a senior.
I decided to take the question of who you're going to be as a senior to the streets – or in this case, the halls – and ask local high school students how they were going to leave their mark.

“I am going to make this the best year ever by enjoying every minute to the fullest and eat all the cookies I can.” There we go again with the cookies; what is it with seniors and cookies? It seems as if one goal of the seniors is to start their “freshman fifteen” nine months early and live life to the fullest extent.
Some seniors laughed off my inquiring mind and answered with remarks such as, “I’m gonna go party more." It's notoriously known in the high school that seniors only attend the best parties and most are eager to suck the goodness out of every weekend and every moment. One student was more concerned with relaxing, “I happen to have quite a line up of fun filled events to keep me entertained through this final year in high school. For one thing, I have begun by cutting my cross country participation so I can have more time here at home. Along with that I also was fired from my easy job as a cashier at a pool due too many vacation days. I took some really strenuous class next semester such as piano and gym class life.” I suppose there are truly other things in life other than sports, jobs, and academics - such as senioritis.
Others are not slacking in the least. They are pushing now more than ever in terms of sports and academics. Another student was more concerned with inspiring others and living out the role model aspect of being a senior, answering, “I’m going to leave being the kid who worked his butt off academically and athletically to make myself a better person. The end result will be seeing all the kids look up to what I’ve become and if they could somewhat resemble this in any way I’ll have left my mark.”
I suppose no matter what stereotypical high school teen you may be, whether you’re a jock, a drama geek, a brainiac, a teacher’s pet, or maybe just the floater, every senior will leave this year a little different than how they went in. You’re name may not be on honor roll, it may not be on a banner in the gym, heck, it may not even be on the attendance list, but the point is, you are here and no matter how you spend your senior year, it truly will be the best of high school.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend

As promised, here's a blog about my weekend - I know you've been sitting on the edge of your rolly computer chair waiting for it with bated breath. Friday after my guitar class, which went not-so-fabulously, as per usual, Chris and I had a little adventure to Harpoon Brewery where we met up with my ever beloved (and apparently much talked about) bff Dave. It took us a little adventuring and a little guessing to get there but we made it there and home with lots of "I have a hunch this is the way to go"-ing. It convinced me fully that we'd be great on a European back-packing trip together. We don't fight, we don't argue, we don't get frustrated, we just laugh and follow our gut. Which led us to beer! Isn't that what Germany is all about?  Anyway, Harpoon was awesome. You just go, hear about beer, and drink all you want. I picked up a growler of the cider - highly recommended. We literally guessed what bus to get on to get home and turns out it led...

Stop Shoulding all over yourself

Yesterday I went on Cor Jesu's Vivare "young alumni" retreat. My friend from high school Katie posted it on my wall a few weeks ago and tagged a couple other CJ sisters to the post and it struck my interest. I haven't done a single thing with CJ since I graduated and somewhere between moving to Boston and joining the triathlon team my Catholic past was put on the backburner. I figured I had nothing to lose except a Saturday and at the very least I'd get to hang out with my friends so I signed up and sent in my $25 without much thought.  I've never been the most devout Catholic. Most times in church I'm scanning the crowd for familiar faces, zoning out, and making Target lists- and that's if I go at all. Sunday is usually run-day...or ski day. Or sleep in day. Or study day. Or vacuum day. Whatever day it is...it's rarely church day. Despite being raised by two Catholic parents, going to a Catholic grade school and a Catholic high school, going o...

Running Playlist

Christmas break consisted of nothing but running, riding to the grocery store on my beach cruiser, reading trashy magazines on the beach, drinking more margaritas than I care to admit, and eating an entire Gulf of Mexico worth of seafood. It was 3 weeks of sunshine bliss in southern Florida but now it's back to Utah - with a huge slap in the face from the frigid -15 degree wind. I spent the first 3 days shivering uncontrollably and coughing from something Utahns call "inversion".  The first thing I did was hit the slopes skiing with a Snowbasin ski pass and new ski boots. Turns out this Missouri girl sucks at powder skiing....who knew!? My ski trip to Co when I was 10 didn't give me quite the base I need for serious skiing, so I fly down the half the slope with reckless abandon until I make an ass of myself by tumbling the other half. Whatever...with my new ski coat and boots I look damn good doing it. And with my endurance sport background I can fall down the s...